VALUE PROPOSITION.


In my current reason to wake up that helps me avoid poverty and homelessness, we get tonnes and tonnes of project/ event/ program proposals.
The one thing they always lack is value proposition. They're usually passionate and self- centred so very little thought is given towards the practicality of the proposal, the fine print of execution but most importantly, the benefits accrued to the other party.
What will our organisation get from it? Predictable reply: We will put your logo on our promotional material and mention you during the event.
What else? We're doing what your organisation is doing so you should support us.
So what exactly do we do? Vaguely explains why they don't think Coldplay is a rock band
Have you gone through our website or social media pages to know exactly what we stand for and the projects we have been involved in? No, but...
How can you offer us value? You tell me. You know the organisation best so I think you would be the best person to tell me what I can do for you.
Nope. Nope. Noppity nope. The burden is not on me to tell me what you can give me. Imagine the same context in a job interview. Doesn't make too much sense, does it? Everyone wants something. Find out what it is and give it to them- that's the simplest way I can put it. There's too much passion and emotion but very little eloquent expression of how one's project ties in with another, long term vs short term impact of the project, cost- benefit analysis in its basic form and product/service differentiation. Art in any form and social projects are products- treat them as such.
I think that one of the factors that separates successful artists from the rest is their ability to understand audiences, do their research and and communicate value effectively. There are endless opportunities available to people who can package themselves well. Musicians, poets, painters, graffiti artists are all stuck in the rut of personal ideas trying to grow up to become viable ideas that other people can understand.
I'm thinking of, scrap that, I'm planning a workshop or two on value proposition creation for creatives and I will keep you in the loop. In case you have any ideas about it, I'm open to listening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KIKUYU PRIVILEGE-WHEN WILL WE ADMIT IT EXISTS?

NEW YORK TIMES DECRIES CENSORSHIP

GETTING WHAT YOU WANT